CHICAGO (CBS) — Police imagine the identical individual is chargeable for at least eight armed robberies involving a machete in Northwest Facet neighborhoods.
The assaults have occurred in Irving Park, Avondale, and Logan Sq..
CBS 2’s Charlie De Mar spoke completely to 1 girl – who stated she thought she was going to die when she noticed the scale of the machete pulled on her. She complied with the robber’s calls for and wasn’t damage – however the randomness of the assaults is regarding for these on the Northwest Facet.
Maria Mayancena pointed to the spot on a sleepy Avondale block the place she was robbed whereas strolling alone Friday evening.
“Perhaps right here, a really massive machete,” she stated.
A automotive pulled up round 9 p.m., and a person obtained out and pulled a big machete on her. She continues to be shaken.
“I do not know,” Mayancena stated.
Mayancena handed over her belongings. The person obtained again within the passenger seat of a automotive, and so they drove away.
In Spanish, Mayancena stated: “I assumed he was going to kill me with the machete. I did not need him to do something to me. I let him take the cash. I let him take the bag. ”
The latest assault occurred on Sunday evening, when a 52-year-old man was strolling alone close to Troy and Grace streets in Irving Park with a pizza when a machete was swung at him – inflicting him to fall. Police say the attacker additionally jumped out of a ready automotive.
The person’s pockets and the pizza had been stolen. CBS 2’s Tara Molina spoke to the victim’s girlfriend.
“He got here with the machete,” the sufferer’s girlfriend stated. He advised him, he advised him give me your cash.”
The incident instances and areas are as follows:
· 3000 block of North Christiana Avenue on Friday, Could 27 at 7:58 p.m. The machete-wielding attacker approached a 34-year-old man and demanded the sufferer’s property. The sufferer handed it over, and the attacker left in a grey sedan.
· 3200 block of North Monticello Avenue on Monday, Could 30 at 11:45 p.m. A 19-year-old man was strolling on the sidewalk when the person with the machete got here up and demanded his property. The sufferer complied, and the attacker left in a silver/grey sedan.
· 4100 block of West Fletcher Road between Monday, Could 30 at 11:45 p.m. and Tuesday, Could 31 at 12:10 a.m. A 47-year-old man was strolling on the sidewalk when the attacker got here up and demanded his property whereas brandishing a machete. The sufferer complied, and the attacker fled within the silver/grey sedan.
· 3300 block of North Monticello Avenue on Friday, June 3 at 9 p.m. A lady was strolling dwelling when the person approached her, brandishing the machete as he demanded her property. The sufferer complied, however the attacker then pushed the sufferer and fled again into the passenger facet of the car through which he’d arrived.
· 4000 block of West Eddy Road on Friday, June 3 between 9 p.m. and 9:15 p.m. Two ladies, ages 22 and 56, had been approached by the machete-wielding offender. He demanded each their property and so they complied. He fled within the silver/grey sedan.
· 3000 block of Christina Avenue on Saturday, June 4 round 8:20 p.m. A 44-year-old girl was strolling when a person got here up from behind and obtained the sufferer’s consideration by talking. The person ordered the sufferer handy over her property, and she or he complied.
· 4100 block of West Wellington Avenue on Saturday, June 4 simply earlier than 9 p.m. A 28-year-old girl was crossing the road with a 7-month-old child boy when a silver sedan virtually hit her. The motive force apologized and stored going. The girl and the newborn then went into the alley, at which period the silver sedan reversed the car to enter the alley. The motive force then waved a pointy object, demanded the sufferer’s property, and obtained again within the automotive and left.
· 3700 block of North Troy Road on Sunday, June 5, round 9 p.m. This was the incident through which the 52-year-old man had the machete swung at him whereas carrying a pizza.
Avondale resident Lisa Russell, who did not wish to present her face, says she’s seen the person for whom police are wanting.
“I’ve seen him strolling as much as a entrance door and knocking on the door and no one answered it,” Russell stated. “I used to stroll to the grocery retailer, stroll to the greenback retailer. Now I will not do it. ”
As for Mayancena, she has this message for her attacker.
“Cease doing what you’re doing,” she stated in Spanish. “We aren’t harming anybody. We do not need any extra tragedies to occur. We’re out and about and really feel scared.”
Police say they’ve devoted extra sources to the Northwest Facet and are targeted on making an arrest. No severe accidents have been reported in any of the robberies.