(WFSB) – A lady is useless after testing optimistic for Powassan virus (POWV) in Connecticut.
The Division of Public Well being (DPH) stated that is the second case of the virus identified in Connecticut so far this year.
The virus is unfold by tick bites, well being officers stated.
Officers stated this second case of the virus is the primary fatality from Powassan this yr in Connecticut.
The affected person was between the ages of 90 and 99 and lived in New London County.
DPH stated she turned sick in early Could.
“The affected person was admitted to a neighborhood hospital with fever, altered psychological standing, headache, chills, rigors, chest ache and nausea,” well being officers stated.
DPH stated her situation obtained worse and she or he turned unresponsive over the subsequent two weeks.
She had a recognized tick chew that was eliminated two weeks earlier than signs.
“This incident reminds us that residents have to take actions to forestall tick bites now by the late fall,” stated Division of Public Well being Commissioner Manisha Juthani, MD.
The primary affected person identified with Powassan earlier this yr was hospitalized with a central nervous system illness, officers stated.
DPH stated the affected person, a male between the ages of fifty and 59 from Windham County, was discharged from the hospital. He then recovered at house.
Juthani stated Powassan is normally unfold by the chew of a black-legged or deer tick.
“It takes per week to 1 month after the chew from an contaminated tick to develop signs of POWV illness, and the virus will be transmitted in as little as quarter-hour after the tick first attaches,” DPH stated.
Well being officers stated most individuals who get Powassan will undergo from no signs, or a gentle sickness just like the flu.
Some individuals will develop a extreme sickness to the central nervous system, officers stated.
About one out of 10 instances of this extreme sickness are deadly.
“Extreme instances might start with fever, vomiting, headache, or weak spot and quickly progress to confusion, lack of coordination, problem talking, or seizures,” DPH stated. “There is no such thing as a vaccine nor a selected therapy for POWV related sickness.”
DPH shared ideas for stopping tick bites:
- Keep away from areas the place ticks are more likely to be, similar to in in grassy, brushy, or wooded areas. Ticks are most energetic from spring to fall however may be energetic on hotter days throughout winter.
- Take into account using CDC-recommended mosquito repellents containing DEET, picaridin, oil of lemon eucalyptus, IR3535, or 2-undecanone, and apply in keeping with instructions, when outside.
- Examine your self and your kids for ticks instantly after coming indoors. Showering inside two hours of coming indoors could also be efficient in lowering the chance of tick-borne illness.
- Look at clothes, gear, and pets rigorously after coming indoors. Tumble dry clothes for 10 minutes to kill ticks that have been carried inside.
- Speak to your veterinarian about the very best tick prevention merchandise to your canine.
- Take into account treating gadgets similar to boots, clothes, and mountain climbing or tenting gear with merchandise containing 0.5 % permethrin
For extra info on Powassan virus, click here.
Comply with Channel 3 for updates.
Copyright 2022 WFSB. All rights reserved.