Fireplace blamed on electrical scooter battery kills 8-year-old lady in New York Metropolis

8-year-old lady killed in Queens home fireplace, 2 males injured

8-year-old girl killed in Queens house fire, 2 men injured


An electrical scooter battery sparked a hearth that killed an 8-year-old lady in New York Metropolis, authorities stated. The loss of life of Stephanie Villa Torres on Saturday was a minimum of the third time in just a little over a 12 months {that a} deadly fireplace within the metropolis has been linked to a scooter battery.

Saturday’s fireplace was reported round 7:30 a.m. at a house in Queens, a police spokesperson stated. Stephanie was discovered unresponsive and was pronounced useless at a hospital. The lady’s father and 18-year-old brother had been handled for burns and smoke inhalation, officers stated.

“It is very unhappy to listen to about. I heard that the daddy could not get to her in time, which is admittedly heartbreaking when you concentrate on it,” Faculty Level resident Sam Chen told CBS New York.

One neighbor bought the chilling name for his sister and says the fireplace erupted from the unit, the station reported.

“She noticed simply an enormous fireplace and every thing taking place, however she by no means actually seen something like this, particularly round our space, the place there’s, like, actually by no means something. It is only a calm neighborhood,” Alejandro Mendreno stated.

The fireplace division stated the blaze was caused by a lithium battery from an electrical scooter — one among scores of fires blamed on electrical scooter and bike batteries in New York Metropolis over the previous two years.

A woman and a 5-year-old girl were killed Aug. 3 in Harlem by a hearth that was blamed on a scooter battery, and a hearth linked to an e-scooter killed a 9-year-old boy in Queens in September 2021.

E-bikes are being blamed for greater than 60 accidents within the metropolis this 12 months, CBS New York reported. The New York Metropolis Housing Authority is pushing to have e-bikes banned from their buildings.

Source link

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply